Introduce yourself!

Hi everyone,

Please introduce yourself to everyone in the group. What I'd like everyone to know...

  • Your name...
  • What your writing experience level is...
  • How good you think your editing skills are....
  • How good are you at creating diagrams, figures, etc...
  • How many hours you think you can contribute per week to the Pony Book...
  • What you hope to get out of this experience...

Fire away!

Here's mine...

  • Your name...

Sean T Allen

  • What your writing experience level is...

Author of Storm Applied. Published by Manning. I've been through this rodeo once and have done a decent amount of instructional writing during my life.

  • How good you think your editing skills are....

Content wise, pretty good Grammar wise, meh

  • How good are you at creating diagrams, figures, etc...

I can do good ones but I am very slow about it and prefer to have others do it if I can

  • How many hours you think you can contribute per week to the Pony Book...

4 to 8 on average Depends on other Pony related documentation work I have to do. I have about 8 hours that I can reasonably expect to put towards Pony documentation of all sorts during a given week.

  • What you hope to get out of this experience...

A thriving Pony community? I'm not quite sure. While writing Storm Applied, I swore I would never write another book; yet, here I am, leading a book writing effort. I think Pony is a great language and I want to see it succeed. It isn't going to without excellent learning materials and I know that its an area I can really help push along as I love teaching people, so here I am. Writing a book. Again.

-Sean-

Ivo Balbaert

Hi everyone, here is my introduction:

  • Your name

Ivo Balbaert

What your writing experience level is...

            Author of:       -· 2009"Handboek Ruby en Rails" - Van Duuren (Dutch).

                                    -  2012: “The Way To Go”, IUniverse, ISBN: 978-1-4697-6917-2, a book on the Go programming language 600 p.

            For Packt Publishing:

                                    - 2013: together with Dzenan Ridjanovic:  "Learning Dart" (2 versions), 370p.

                                    - 2014: "Dart Cookbook", 330 p.

                                    - 2015: "Getting started with the Julia Programming Language", 200 p.

                                    - 2015: "Rust Essentials", 160 p.

                                    - 2016: video-series: "Julia and Data Science"

  • How good you think your editing skills are....

Reasonably good, I think, although I am not a native English speaker

  • How good are you at creating diagrams, figures, etc...

I can make diagrams, but I am not excellent at it

  • How many hours you think you can contribute per week to the Pony Book...

12 hours

  • What you hope to get out of this experience...

Getting more people to look and try Pony

Expertise in working with Pony

Regards,

Ivo

[...]

Dit e-mailbericht is verzonden vanaf een virusvrije computer die wordt beschermd door Avast.

Federico Carrone <federico.carrone@...>

Your name:
Federico Carrone. I am an Erlang 8 hours code monkey who likes Lisp, ML languages, BSD, SmartOS and emacs/vim.

What your writing experience level is:
Apart from developing I work as a freelance writer for a spanish newspaper so I have some some experience at it. However, I am slow and and I am not a native english speaker.

You can check my blog:

And some of my writings
Become an Erlang Cowboy and tame the Wild Wild Web — Part I

How good you think your editing skills are:
Mediocre.

How good are you at creating diagrams, figures, etc:
Bad, really bad. I always ask for heelp when doing diagrams.

How many hours you think you can contribute per week to the Pony Book:
Between 4 and 6 hours per week. In some weeks 8 hours.

What you hope to get out of this experience:
1. Help getting other people into Pony
2. Learn about Pony design choices and implementation. I am a sort of Erlang fanboy, but I always wanted to have a language with a hugh focus around concurrency and distribution with ADTs. So I want to know more about Pony and in the process I want to share what I learn with the rest of the world.

Regards,
Federico.

On Sat, Mar 12, 2016 at 3:11 PM Sean T. Allen <sean@...> wrote:

[...]

George Marrows

  • Your name...
George Marrows
  • What your writing experience level is...
Plenty of work in the day job helping others structure software docs for external users, but very little actually writing them. My sentences seem to get gummed up with sub-clauses and punctuation. Looking to figure out how to get them to flow better...
  • How good you think your editing skills are....
OK. Native English speaker; have helped my wife (ex-journalist) with proof-reading and copy-editing on a magazine she edited.
  • How good are you at creating diagrams, figures, etc...
Decent, at least at coming up with diagram ideas. OK with execution, but certainly no graphic designer.
  • How many hours you think you can contribute per week to the Pony Book...
Unknown. I need to figure out where I stand on my engagement with Pony. (I'm currently still in the 70% checking out the language.)
  • What you hope to get out of this experience...
Same as Ivo and Federico: learn about the language and encourage others to learn it. I'm interested in language implementation, but my last one was rather Ruby-ish and ran on the JVM. Moving to a very different part of language space should be interesting!

George

Braden Shepherdson

  • Your name...
Braden Shepherdson

  • What your writing experience level is...
I have written (and endlessly rewritten) much of the documentation for my work project, see the front page and tutorial of http://foamdev.com for a sample.

Nothing published, or as large-scale as a book.

  • How good you think your editing skills are....
Decent for content. Strong for grammar and catching small errors.

  • How good are you at creating diagrams, figures, etc...
Nil.

  • How many hours you think you can contribute per week to the Pony Book...
A few, two or three. Pony is a long way from my day job, and time for code-related things outside of work is short.
  • What you hope to get out of this experience...
A book on the most interesting programming language I've encountered in a long time, that will hopefully make it more "official" and easier to sell for future projects.

Braden

  • Your name...

Carl Quinn

  • What your writing experience level is...

No published books, and just a few magazine articles here and there. But I have written or edited a lot of user documentation for software products over the last 35 years.

I was also part of the Java Posse podcast for almost 10 years. While not a written communication form, we did research and script writing as part of the show.

  • How good you think your editing skills are....

I am fairly strong in this area. I am a native english speaker, and have a good eye for grammar and consistency. I think I can add value here in editing and expanding the prose in areas started by others.

  • How good are you at creating diagrams, figures, etc...

I am pretty good with a number of tools. Although I can often descend into yak shaving and pixel twiddling if I am not careful. What drawing tools do you think would work well with AsciiDoc?

  • How many hours you think you can contribute per week to the Pony Book...

About four to eight I think.

  • What you hope to get out of this experience...

I am very excited about Pony and want to see it succeed so that I can use it in the future for real work projects. So, I want to help grow the Pony community by contributing, and I think this is one way that I can do that effectively. Also, I think working on this book will help me stay engaged and active.

Tommy McGuire

Howdy!

Your name...

Tommy McGuire, mcguire@...

What your writing experience level is...

I've written a dissertation (also published as a book) that no one has read, a blog that no one reads (http://maniagnosis.crsr.net/), and a great pile of work-related stuff that no one wants to read. So, let's go with 'None'.

How good you think your editing skills are....

Decent; I am a native English speaker and I have helped edit and proofread various publications, papers, and so forth.

How good are you at creating diagrams, figures, etc...

There is a reason I don't get to do UI work. I am of the impression that I can create decent diagrams, but making them look pretty is beyond me.

How many hours you think you can contribute per week to the Pony Book...

I'd say 8, but it will be highly variable depending on the other things I'm doing at the moment.

What you hope to get out of this experience...

As far as I can tell now, Pony is the language I've been looking for, for quite a while. I would love to know more about it myself, and to see it succeed.

Tommy

Kushal Pisavadia <kushi.p@...>

Your name
Kushal Pisavadia

What your writing experience level is
I've helped review a number of papers and books before.

How good you think your editing skills are
I'm comfortable making language as accessible as possible.

How good are you at creating diagrams, figures, etc.
I'm okay, but it would depend on the ideas I'm trying to convey. Review sessions tend to help with this.

How many hours you think you can contribute per week to the Pony Book
At least 6.

What you hope to get out of this experience
Three things:
  1. A better experience for those new to Pony
  2. Better my understanding of some of the novel parts of Pony
  3. Improve my technical writing (it's good practice)

On Mon, 14 Mar 2016 at 19:08 Tommy McGuire <mcguire.crsr@...> wrote:

Howdy!

Your name...

Tommy McGuire, mcguire@...