Publishing book on InfoQ?

Charles Humble

Hi,

I was chatting to Sylvan at QCon London and he mentioned that you were working on a book for Pony.  I have been following Pony with interest for some time and would be interested in publishing the book on InfoQ if you would like us to.

I see you are thinking of authoring using Asciidoc; we have a template for our mini-book format available in Github for this - https://github.com/mraible/infoq-mini-book - and have had great experience working with the tool. Dan was also hugely helpful when we ran into problems with the print version, so regardless of whether you publish with us or not I’m happy to recommend it as a tool.  We've found that it works very well for this kind of collaborative authoring.

Tooling wise we use AsciidocFX at the copy editing stage and I can recommend that as well.  Matt Raible’s JHipster book was published this way and is also a good example of our mini-book format:

If you decide to publish with us we would provide peer review, copy editing, cover design (with your input), and can also help with illustrations. We would produce downloadable PDF, ePub, and MOBI versions for distribution via InfoQ and, optionally, arrange for a physical print to be sold via Amazon and Lulu.  We’d need exclusive distribution rights to these formats, but the Github repo would of course remain open.  You would retain copyright and would be free to produce updated versions, or versions in other formats and so on.

InfoQ’s model is a little unusual.  We offer the electronic versions free of charge, though registration is required for download.  The print copy, if wanted, has a cover price which is agreed with the author with around 70% of that being passed back to the author; basically everything that Amazon and Lulu don’t take as part of their cut.

More details on terms etc. can be found here:

Happy to answer any questions you may have, and/or help out in any way I can.

Thanks and regards,

Charles Humble
Head of Editorial
InfoQ Enterprise Software Development Community
Twitter: @charleshumble

Hi Charles,

Sorry for the long delay on answering this. I have too much going on. Sylvan speaks highly of you.

Thanks for the offer. At the moment, I'm mostly interested in getting something written and taking it from there.
I've been working on getting the tutorial and other documentation up to shape while figuring out what a Pony book would look like to me. I've written a bit of scratch copy. I'm hoping to start for real sometime in late summer/early fall.

Once I get further along, we should talk more.

-Sean-

On Mon, Mar 14, 2016 at 11:18 AM, Charles Humble <charles@...> wrote:
[...]

Hi Sean,

That’s absolutely fine.  As much as anything i jumped into the thread early since we have already have an Asciodc template defined which might save you a bit of time and effort.

Charles