Repo created for Pony for X content

Hi all,

Sorry for the delay on this. I've created a repo for Pony for X content.

It awaits your love:

Additionally, its also hosted at Gitbook:

I have finally sat down and begun working on the Pony for Java chapter. I've got the GH repo forked into my org, and setup a gitbook account to test my work. I'll push the first couple pages soon to see how they look. I did borrow ideas from Ivo, so thanks Ivo for giving us a boost.

It might be helpful, Sean, if there was some intro material in the main body of the book that each chapter could riff from to eliminate some of the repetition.

On Wed, May 4, 2016 at 4:52 PM, Sean T. Allen <sean@...> wrote:
Hi all,

Sorry for the delay on this. I've created a repo for Pony for X content.

It awaits your love:

Additionally, its also hosted at Gitbook:

Awesome!

Re: intro riff

I agree. Definitively should be some intro material. My thought was wait and see what gets covered in multiple ones but maybe that isn't the best idea.

I'm not sure however what the basic riff at the beginning would be, thoughts?

On Thu, May 5, 2016 at 10:54 AM, Carl Quinn <carl.quinn@...> wrote:
I have finally sat down and begun working on the Pony for Java chapter. I've got the GH repo forked into my org, and setup a gitbook account to test my work. I'll push the first couple pages soon to see how they look. I did borrow ideas from Ivo, so thanks Ivo for giving us a boost.

It might be helpful, Sean, if there was some intro material in the main body of the book that each chapter could riff from to eliminate some of the repetition.

On Wed, May 4, 2016 at 4:52 PM, Sean T. Allen <sean@...> wrote:
Hi all,

Sorry for the delay on this. I've created a repo for Pony for X content.

It awaits your love:

Additionally, its also hosted at Gitbook:

Ivo has a "Why Pony?" at the beginning of his C# chapter that is an independent intro to why one would consider Pony. That could be used as a common intro for all the chapters.

On Thu, May 5, 2016 at 10:45 AM, Sean T. Allen <sean@...> wrote:
[...]

I think that is a good start. I think it makes sense to go in README.md which Gitbook turns into the introduction.

Agreed?

On Thu, May 5, 2016 at 2:32 PM, Carl Quinn <carl.quinn@...> wrote:
[...]

Sure, sounds good. I'm not (yet :) a Gitbook expert.

On Thu, May 5, 2016 at 1:31 PM, Sean T. Allen <sean@...> wrote:
[...]

Any chance of a PR? I'm not going to have a chance to get to this for a bit.

On Thu, May 5, 2016 at 5:59 PM, Carl Quinn <carl.quinn@...> wrote:
[...]

OK, I am working on a PR now, combining intro material from Ivo's chapter as well as mine.

I've read up on the Gitbook structure and it makes sense. A little weird that the intro is in markdown and the rest is asciidoc.

What is the reason behind "keep any individual line under 80 characters"? What's wrong with just letting each paragraph soft wrap?

On Thu, May 5, 2016 at 4:28 PM, Sean T. Allen <sean@...> wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the PR Carl.

80 columns is the standard we have established across Pony repos, documentation and otherwise.

On Fri, May 6, 2016 at 8:17 PM, Carl Quinn <carl.quinn@...> wrote:
[...]

No problem. I'll submit an update with the 80 cols fixed. I've got the two wrap plugins and that seems ok. Not as nice as soft wrap, but tolerable :)

On Fri, May 6, 2016 at 6:07 PM, Sean T. Allen <sean@...> wrote:
[...]

I already took care of it.

Next time!

Thanks again Carl.